When I asked my stepson what he wanted to eat for his birthday party, he told me pizza. I am not the type that wants to do just boring pizza. So I started thinking. Then I remembered Double Daves, a pizza place here in Texas. They serve their own version of pizza rolls. These are the best thing I have ever had. After a little bit of research I found a recipe as a guide for homemade pizza rolls, since this recipe was basic and used more processed ingredients than I wanted to use, I made own version of homemade pizza rolls. I made my own pizza dough from scratch using my bread machine. Overall these are pretty easy to make, but a little time consuming.
This takes a little timing if you are doing this for a party. To make sure the pizza roll dough is ready in time and the rolls will be ready when the guests arrive. This recipe makes enough to put two batches on a pizza stone.
First make a 2 pound batch of homemade pizza dough using a bread machines recipe, or the largest amount of dough you can make. Add two cloves of minced garlic and a tablespoon of Italian seasoning to add a little flavor to the dough for the rolls. You can adjust to what you like.
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Cut the dough in half. Then sprinkle some flour on your surface to roll out half of your dough for the pizza rolls.
2. Start working one half of the the dough into a round shape. This may take a while. Try stretching it in your hands if using a rolling pin proves difficult.
3. Make about a 12-14in circle. Just like pizza.
4. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut into eight pieces for eight pizza rolls.
5. Starting at the large end of the dough, place 4-6 slices of pepperoni at the end and put a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. It can be sliced, block or shredded. Since, these are homemade you can fill these pizza rolls with whatever you want. I am traditional and love pepperoni.
6. Fold the sides over onto itself and stretch the back over the cheese and pepperoni and roll. Stretch the dough as you roll to the point to form a tight seal, so the cheese won’t leak out. It is OK if it does. Do the same for the other half of the dough.
7. You can spray the homemade pizza rolls with your MISTO spray bottle filled with olive oil and place them on a cookie sheet or pizza stone and cook in the oven on 400 for 15-20 min. The oil will provide a nice brown coating on the outside of the rolls.
8. Serve these homemade pizza rolls with warmed pasta sauce or ranch dressing for dipping. Very yummy.
~ ~ ~
I was able to time it where I pulled out the last batch of homemade pizza rolls right before the first guest arrived and kept them in the oven on warm until everyone arrived. Then we ate hot homemade pizza rolls. I am going to make another batch using whole wheat flour and keep them in the freezer. When the kids want a quick snack or I don’t feel like cooking lunch, we can just pop them in the microwave and serve. Let me know if you make these. I know you will be hooked.
Try these homemade pizza bite snacks for your next party.
Learn how to make homemade pizza dough.
The following two tabs change content below.