Hot, fresh homemade whole wheat tortillas are just heaven. If you have never eaten a warm fresh tortilla, you are missing a little piece of heaven. There are very few ingredients needed to make homemade whole wheat tortillas. You may be surprised at the ingredients when you read the labels on the store bought ones. I wanted to find a cleaner version to make for my family. These healthy tortillas are made with just four ingredients for clean eating.
Ingredients for Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use half whole wheat and half whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup oil (I use olive)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (Place in microwave for 1 minute)
Directions on how to make whole wheat tortillas:
1. Place the whole wheat flour mixture in a rounded bowl and add oil and salt. With a pastry blender, blend until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Slowly add the warm water and keep mixing by hand until smooth about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Pinch the dough in your hands and roll the dough into a ball. Use a plate and flatten. Let the dough rest at least 15 to an hour. This is a very important step they will not be as soft if you rush this step.
5. On a lightly floured surface, start to roll out each circle to about 8-10 inches. These will not be perfectly round tortillas you are used to seeing at the store. It is OK, since they still taste amazing.
6. cook in the skillet for about 30 – 45 per side.
This recipe makes 12 tortillas. I try to make a batch of tortillas on Sunday, since we have taco Tuesday in our meal plan. Tortillas can be used for many dishes or great as a flat bread to eat with any Mexican meal. Homemade enchiladas are the best. Once you try a homemade tortilla, it will be hard to eat anything else. Follow along on my Pinterest Board for more Clean Eating Ideas and take the Clean Eating Challenge to get start living healthier.
Have you ever made homemade tortillas?