Making homemade mayo is easy with just a few simple ingredients.
It really takes just a few minutes and the only special thing you need is a blender.
Once you taste fresh homemade mayo you will not want to eat store bought again.
Easy Homemade Mayo Recipe
(affiliate links have been used throughout this post. I may make a few pennies from your purchase)
Homemade Mayo Recipe Ingredients:
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used Olive Oil)
1 egg room temperature
3 Tablespoons vinegar (try Apple Cider, or Lemon Juice for more taste)
1 teaspoon salt (or less if watching sodium)
1 teaspoon dried mustard
a dash of pepper if you like
How to Make Homemade Mayo
1. Make sure the egg is at room temperature to emulsify with the oil. Tip: Hold the the egg in one hand while you are gathering up the ingredients to warm it faster. Crack the egg in a wide mouth jar like this one that is large enough for an immersion blender like this one.
2. Pour in 1/4 cup oil on top of the egg and add dry seasonings.
3. Submerge your immersion blender all the way to the bottom, and turn that baby on. It will magically, right before your eyes turn into to mayo.
4. This is the key to the whole process, so pay attention here. Slowly add about 1/2 cup oil while the blender is going. I just eyeballed it. Lift the blender up and down to make sure it is all well incorporated, and it will thicken up nicely.
5. Once about 1/2 cup of the oil is blended add the 3 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice (this acts as a natural preservative). Then add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil slowly while blending.
What to Use Homemade Mayo With
Seriously it is that easy to have the best mayo recipe! I will never buy mayo again. We have the ingredients to make our own on hand. I may try to cut the the mayo recipe in half next time, since this does make a lot of mayo. You may be wondering, “when will this go bad?” The consensus everywhere I read is before the expiration date of the egg.
I think this mayo recipe would be wonderful to use in roasted chicken salad sliders with homemade biscuits as the buns. Also what about making your own custom mayo recipes like: chipotle mayo recipe, taco mayo recipe or a special sauce mayo recipe. Doesn’t that sound wonderful? I know I am making my own custom mayo at the next party at my house.
Check out my Homemade recipes page for more great food items you can make at home instead of purchasing at the store. Follow my Homemade Recipes and Pantry Staples board on Pinterest and follow me on Facebook for more easy home cooking ideas.
What do you love to put mayo on?