I have dreamed of making my own pasta for a long time. I was thrilled when I purchased my own homemade pasta machine with a spaghetti and fettuccine attachment. My husband was very excited too. He remembers when he was young his grandmother making homemade pasta. Now he knows why it takes so long, but it is so worth it. You will not get the same flavor and texture from boxed pasta as you will with fresh homemade whole wheat pasta. This is truly amazing. I have provided affiliate links below so you can purchase the necessary items to make this fabulous dish. (I may receive compensation on purchases made.) Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for providing me with the semolina flour to make this wonderful pasta.
Whole Wheat Pasta Recipe With Semolina
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Pasta With Semolina Recipe:
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups Semolina Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
6 large eggs
2 Tablespoons of oil
1 pinch of salt
Directions how to make Whole Wheat Pasta With Semolina Recipe:
1. Sift together both of the flours and salt.
2. In a large bowl make a mound of the flour mixture and then make a deep well in the center, like a volcano.
3. Break all of the eggs and add olive oil into the center of the volcano. Notice I did say deep well earlier. Whisk the eggs and oil together with a fork and gently start to fold in the flour to the center of the volcano. Once the mixture is too thick to use the fork, fold out onto the counter and start kneading it by hand.
4. Here is where you can get a little aggression out. Knead for about 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Using the Pasta Machine I purchased here, start rolling out the dough on the highest setting. Mine is 7. First time through then the second time fold in half width wise and role through the pasta machine again.
6. Fold the dough in half length wise and run through the pasta machine in setting 5. Fold in half length wise one more time and run through on setting three. I found this to be the perfect setting for fettuccine or spaghetti.
7. Now with the fettuccine or spaghetti attachment run the dough through to make the perfect pasta.
You will need a Drying Rack to dry the pasta perfectly. Once the whole wheat pasta is dried to a leather like consistency you can package it up to cook for later. To cook throw it in a pot of boiling water for about 3-5 minutes. This whole wheat pasta recipe makes a lot of pasta and for us we can get at least two large meals from it.
I have used several different recipes to make pasta. This whole wheat egg pasta recipe has been the best by far. Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for providing me semolina flour to try. To find more pasta recipes, visit Bob’s Red Mill recipes or you could like Bob’s Red Mill on Facebook If you have never eaten fresh pasta then you need to Pin this recipe and make it to taste the freshness. Fresh pasta has a different taste and texture than pasta from a box. Don’t worry about any extra carbs you may eat for this meal, since you will burn most of them off by making it. Eat and enjoy. Follow Mainly Homemade on Facebook and Pinterest for more homemade recipes you will love!
What is your favorite pasta dish to eat?