Last night I was trying to figure out what we were going to have for dinner. I wanted something Mexican, but I didn’t want tortillas. Since I didn’t have any. I was planning on going to the store Thursday, today. So I remembered I made Tequila Chicken. This is also a very healthy meal. If you don’t drink or opposed to alcohol you do not need the tequila for this dish. We didn’t have any last night and it was delicious.
Amazing Tequila Chicken
Author: Amy Greene
- 1lb Chicken (I use the breast)
- 1 tblsp cooking oil
- 1 12oz of chunky salsa
- 3 tblsp fresh cilantro
- 1 tblsp tequila
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon lime zest (zest of one lime)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Cut chicken into ½ inch strips.
- In a skillet brown chicken in oil until a light brown, drain cooking liquid from skillet.
- In a bowl combine the salsa, cilantro, tequila, lime juice, lime peel, sugar, cinnamon, red pepper, and garlic powder. Pour over chicken in skillet. Bring back to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 min until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve over hot cooked rice.
- This is the actual recipe, but if you don’t have some of the ingredients that’s OK too. I didn't have cilantro last night and I wasn't going to run to the store just for cilantro, but it still tasted great. If you don’t have a lime you can always substitute a lemon. I never actually measure spices I just eyeball them. A dash here a palm full there. It tastes great. I usually use fresh garlic too when I can. For this recipe I used one clove and cooked it with the chicken. I also added one medium onion for extra flavor and an extra veggie when I cooked the chicken.
I had a nine year old girl, 19 month old son and a husband at home last night and they all loved Tequila Chicken. It has a classic salsa taste, but the cinnamon really makes it. I just love the flavor of this dish. Try it out sometime and let me know how it turns out or if you do anything different to the recipe and it tastes great.
I would love to hear from you.
The following two tabs change content below.