Pork Chop Potato Bake or Pork Chops O’Brien. This is one of those casserole dishes that is super easy and very delicious. My family just loves this dish, since it has everything that is good in a casserole. I don’t think this ranks really high on the healthy chart, but it is great when you have a special occasion to celebrate or on a cold day. My mom always made this when I was a kid and I just love it. Whenever Potatoes O’Brien goes on sale, I make sure I pick up a package just for this meal.
5-6 Pork chops (enough for one for each member of your family)
Flour with seasonings for breading on pork chops
1 cup Cheese divided
1 Package Potatoes O’Brien (Preferably Thawed)
1 Can Cream of Chicken soup
1 2.8oz package of fried Onions
1/2 Cup Sour Cream or Homemade Plain Yogurt in a slow cooker
1/2 cup Milk
1. First dredge the Pork Chops in flour with seasonings. You can use whatever you like. I use a little garlic salt, season all, cajun seasoning, paprika and salt and pepper. Pretty much whatever I think will taste good.
2. In a skillet with a couple of tablespoons of oil, fry the pork chops until they are golden on each side. Take them out and set aside.
3. Prepare the Potatoes. Open Package of Potatoes O’Brien and Can of soup and put into a large bowl. Put about 1/2 cup of the Cheese, 1/2 Cup Sour Cream, about 1/2 of the fried onions in the bowl and add . Add the milk and stir to combine.
It is always helpful if you have some help to stir the mixture!
4. Place all the mixture in a large greased 13X9in baking dish. Lay the porkchops on top. Bake at 350 degree F oven for 40 min. If the potatoes are still frozen, increase cook time to 50 min.
5. About 10 minutes before the Pork Chop Potato Bake is finished take out of the oven sprinkle remaining fried onions and cheese on the top and bake uncovered to get a nice crisp golden top.
~ ~ ~
The Pork Chop Potato Bake is one of my more expensive meals to feed all five of us. But there is usually potato leftovers for two people the next day for lunch or I will freeze the leftovers and have them as a side dish later. This dish is also excellent to take to give as a gift for a new family, grieving family or any family in need of a meal. If you don’t have Cream of Chicken you can always use Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Whatever soup. It will still turn out fine. Pork Chop Potato Bake can even be made for a Meatless Monday dish if you omit the Pork Chops and add another 1/2 Cup of Greek Yogurt and 1/2 cup cheese. Read my article about why is Greek yogurt better for you.
Let me know if you have ever tried this or do try this recipe. Your family will be asking for it again.