I have been enjoying learning how to make favorite recipes on my own, instead of buying processed food at the store. Yes, it is easier to just go to the store and buy food, but I would rather buy ingredients and make it from scratch. We love to eat graham crackers for a quick snack or to make chocolaty, marshmallow s’mores. I really wanted to learn how to make homemade graham crackers for the family. I find such joy in making recipes and to know the ingredients in the favorite foods we love. These homemade graham crackers are no exception. The sweet honey flavor with the molasses reminds me of gingerbread.
Ingredients for Homemade Graham Crackers
½ Cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 Cups whole wheat flour
¼ Cup sugar
½ Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Stick cold butter, cut up (make homemade butter)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon molasses
¼ cup water, plus a little more if it is dry
How to Make Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe
1. Measure all the dry ingredients into a food processor and give it a little spin on low to mix thoroughly.
2. Next, cut up the butter and put in the food processor and blend on low until crumbly mixture.
3. In a small bowl mix the wet ingredients together. Pour into the food processor and pulse until a dough ball forms.
4. Wrap well in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour. It is ok to test a little bit at this point. Be careful not to let anyone else try it. It is so good, you will just want to eat just the dough. Seriously, it is that good.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then roll out the dough onto a floured surface. Roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick. This is the part I love. Grab a cookie cutter and cut out whatever shape you would like or just cut into squares. Make sure it is a large cookie cutter if you are planning on using these for s’mores.
6. Lay them out on a cookie sheet. These do not spread so they can be a little close. Poke the tops with a fork to prevent getting too puffy.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown and are crisp. Store the crackers in an airtight container to keep.
I love the idea to use different cookie cutters to make whatever shape of graham cracker you want. I am now thinking of a ton of party ideas with this amazing little cracker. If you like really crisp cracker, allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before eating. These seem to just melt in your mouth when you eat them. You can taste the honey and molasses together for a slightly sweet homemade graham cracker. Now think of all the possibilities to eat with little, thin graham crackers?