I will be showing you how to make 3 healthy slow cooker recipes using only one whole chicken in a three part series. This is so simple to make three meals out of one chicken. Crazy right? I am so in love with my slow cooker right now, I just had to share some healthy slow cooker recipes with you. That little slow cooker didn’t get much rest this weekend. I think I used it everyday, and it was a three day weekend!
The first in the series of healthy slow cooker recipes is slow cooker roast chicken. This is to help those super busy moms who need help to stretch your budget and provide healthy meals for your family. I usually post our meals when we are trying to feed all five of us, since the dynamics of our home change on a daily basis with our little blessed family. Sometimes there are five or four or only three it really depends on the day of the week around here.
3 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes 1 Chicken
Ingredients for slow cooker roast chicken:
1 whole chicken (around 5lbs a little more or less is OK)
1 stalk celery
2-3 medium potatoes
1 cup baby carrots (Cut in half if you like smaller bites)
1 medium onion chopped
1 lemon quartered
3 table spoons butter softened
1 teaspoon each rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic salt
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Slow cooker
Directions for healthy slow cooker recipes Chicken in a Pot
1. Chop all veggies and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt after each layer of veggies.
2. Make sure there is nothing inside the whole chicken. If something is there, stick your hand up the bird and get it out. Don’t throw it away save it for the third dish. Now fill the chicken with the quartered lemon. This keeps the inside of the bird steamed and moist.
3. Mix the rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic salt with the butter together to make a butter paste to go on the whole chicken. Get your hands dirty and rub that chicken. No need to message it, just coat the top with the butter and seasoning mixture evenly.
4. Place the chicken on top of all the veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker. Don’t worry it will fit.
5. Leave it alone. Do not open it for 8-10 hours on low. Seriously no lifting the lid. The last hour before you serve kick it up on high (optional).
6. Serve whole chicken and veggies together for a delicious roast chicken and veggie dinner. Use the gravy at the bottom to serve over the chicken and veggies if you wish. This is one of the best healthy slow cooker recipes, since the ingredients are so simple to eat and serve.
This entire meal in under $5 when you consider one chicken is used to make 2 other meals.Two of the kids get the drumsticks and one likes white meat. We usually half the breasts when we serve and the little tenders under the breast are great for the one who likes white meat. I usually eat half a breast and whatever little face can’t finish with his drumstick. Hubs usually eats a whole breast. With the other hearty veggies, this fills us up. Add some rolls or bread to the meal if you like.
Save all the leftovers and do not throw any part of the chicken away. Not even the bones. Save the bones for an easy chicken stock. This is for the final meal in my healthy slow cooker recipes series. With five of us we still had plenty of leftover chicken for another meal of Chicken Salad.
My husband said he never would want to bake a chicken again, since the chicken comes out so juicy and tasty. I wish I could make these pictures scratch and sniff so you could smell this chicken. One of the easiest healthy slow cooker recipes to try is Roast Chicken. If you have never cooked a whole chicken before, this is a great one to try first too. It is pretty much fool proof and you don’t have to worry about killing anyone, because anything that cooks for 8-10 hours has to be done, right!
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice - September 25, 2017
- Skillet Vegetable Chicken Teriyaki in Minutes - September 14, 2017
- Is NatureBox Right for Your Family’s Snacking Needs? - September 7, 2017