In my quest for 31 day of making it homemade I wanted to learn how to make crackers using as little ingredients as possible. I researched many cracker recipes and this is what I have come up with to give the best tasting cheese crackers like the ones fish shaped ones you buy at the store. I have switched to using RBST FREE cheese. I purchase organic when I can find it at a reasonable price.
Thank goodness I got a food processor for Christmas, since our other one had the blades completely fall apart when I was trying to make banana ice cream for the kids one day. It is amazing how often I use this device in my kitchen. Here is the Kitchen Aid food processor in the video I got for Christmas if you would like to purchase one too!
You can watch the video on how to make crackers or read the directions below:
How to Make Crackers: Cheese Crackers
How to Make Crackers Ingredients:
8 oz Cheddar Cheese Shredded
4 tablespoons Butter cut into cubes (Learn how to make butter)
1 cup flour (I use Whole Wheat)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
How to Make Crackers:
1. Place all the ingredients above except the milk in a food processor. Pulse until the dough resembles a course sand like consistency.
2. Pulse in the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until a ball forms in the food processor.
3. Remove the cheesy dough ball and wrap in plastic and put in the refrigerator to chill and hang out for 20 min. This is the next hardest thing to do is wait for them in the fridge
4. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Poke a small hole in the top, if you don’t want them too puffy. My kids like them to puff up a bit. Sprinkle them with a little salt on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until crispy. Every oven is different. This may seem like the longest 15 minutes of your life, but it is so worth it.
I love to experiment when I am cooking. Here a few more serving suggestions on how to make crackers wonderful at home with the same cheese cracker ingredients. Try different cheeses or blends of cheeses like colby jack, pepper jack or a Parmesan cheese. My step son suggested pepper jack, and I think this will be my next batch of homemade crackers! Add more or less garlic and onion powder to your tastes. For an Italian cracker try 1/2 parmesan and 1/2 mozzarella cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of Italian herbs instead of paprika. Have fun making new crackers every time.
These little crunchy crackers are so awesome to make with the kids. Learn how to make crackers for a great healthy snack the kids can take to school or where ever. I think I will make these for our vacation snacks. I don’t have to feel guilty I purchased junk for them to eat. I know how to make butter, and the cheese is hormone free. These are so yummy. I bet you can’t wait to make cheese crackers yourself. One of the easiest things to remember is these must be eaten within a few days, since they do not contain all those chemical preservatives found in the store bought version. Trust me it won’t be hard once you taste these crunchy crackers. Follow me on Pinterest for more how to make it homemade.
When would these be a good snack at your house?
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice - September 25, 2017
- Skillet Vegetable Chicken Teriyaki in Minutes - September 14, 2017
- Is NatureBox Right for Your Family’s Snacking Needs? - September 7, 2017