I love anything served in a muffin cup these days and I thought of this wonderful idea of ham and cheese muffin cups.
I have been been looking across Pinterest and my cook books to see if I can find anything.
The muffin cups are pre-portioned, individual serving size for everyone. We have a lot of precooked ham, since our freezer when out about a month ago and I have been searching for some yummy recipes to make with ham to add to our rotation. I found a ham and cheese pie recipe and scaled it down to individual muffin cups. Yes this was a huge hit at my house.
Easy Ham and Cheese Muffin Tin Meal
Ingredients for Ham and Cheese Muffin Cups:
2 cups Homemade Biscuit Mix (you can use store bought package of 5)
1 1/2 cups finally chopped cooked ham
8 oz cheese (shredded or finely cut)
1 1/2 tblsp Onion (I sautéed mine for a bit)
1 Pinch of nutmeg
How Use Leftover Ham:
1. Make the homemade biscuits according to directions. Cut out biscuits and cut them in half. Roll into a ball and stretch them or roll them out until they will fit inside a muffin cup. Spray muffin tin to avoid sticking. Using the homemade version I was able to make 12 biscuit cups. With the store bought you may only be able to make 10.
2. Finely chop the onion and start to sauté it now. This will be ready when you combine it all together. Cut up the ham and cheese. Since I had an 8 oz. block of cheese, I didn’t feel like grating it. I just cut it up into small pieces and threw all together.
3. Add the ham, cheese, eggs and onion all in a bowl and mix thoroughly. I just sprinkled a little nutmeg on top for an added layer of flavor. (My secret ingredient) If you have fresh grate just a little on top.
4. Now fill the biscuit lined muffin tins with the ham cheese mixture. If you have two empty muffin tins left, you can still put the mixture in there and they should pop out when done.
5. Bake at 350° for 22 minutes. To see if they are done make sure they are bubbly and brown around the edges. If not leave them in a couple more minutes. We served these with some pork and beans and corn for a quick and easy meal.
Best Way to Use Leftover Ham
I was amazed at how little ham this recipe actually uses and great for a five dollar meal. This would be a wonderful recipe for leftover ham or even a great breakfast dish. We usually have a few leftover, so I will freeze the extras. Now I have a little something on those nights I don’t want to cook. That is what makes cooking in muffin tins so great. My daughter, who doesn’t like ham, even liked this recipe. If you put anything in bread for her, she will eat it. Little Face didn’t get to try it, since he passed out at 6:00pm that night. We brought him to the table and he put his head on the table and slept.
Take a look at my homemade muffins page for more ideas on how to make food on your own. This will help stretch your pennies a little farther and help you eat healthy. Take a look at my easy and simple recipes for more ideas on what to cook for dinner tonight. PLEASE like Mainly Homemade on Facebook. Yes I am begging! Follow my recipes Pinterest board for more inspiration daily.