For the last two weeks I have helped you make two slow cooker meals using only one chicken. Since you are still here, and you didn’t kill anyone with the previous healthy slow cooker recipes with the chicken in a pot and amazing chicken salad. Today I am going to share with you the last of the slow cooker meals series, how to make chicken stock from the leftovers of the previous chicken meals. After making this recipe you may never buy chicken stock again. It is so easy to make this rich flavorful chicken stock.
Easy Homemade Chicken Stock
Ingredients for slow cooker meals – Chicken Stock:
Bones from healthy slow cooker recipes Chicken in a Pot
leftovers from inside the chicken (if you had any)
leftover Juice from Roasted Chicken in a Pot
1 cup carrots
1 stalk celery
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon each of rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano
salt and pepper to taste
How to make chicken stock in a slow cooker
1. This chicken stock recipe can be done in the slow cooker or on the stove. For the purposes of this post I made it on the stove, since I forgot I was doing this for the blog. Place all of the ingredients above in a pot. No need to worry about cutting anything really fine, since these are just for flavor. Pour at least 4 to 6 cups of water in the pot. Enough to cover everything in the pot.
2. Allow to cook for an hour on the stove, or in the slow cooker cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. This just needs to simmer for a while.
3. Let the pot cool for an hour or two with the lid off. Then place the whole pot in the fridge and forget about it overnight. Share this post on Facebook that this is the best secret how to defat chicken stock.
4. When the pot is taken out of the fridge, there will be an nice solid layer of fat at the top. Yuck. Now just break it the fat layer and throw it away, or get a large bowl and place a colander on top drain off the broth. Dump the entire pot of broth into the colander. Since the fat is solid, it will not go through the colander. You might want to PIN this!
5. Now there is a nice bowl of the best chicken broth in the world. This is way cheaper and better tasting then the store bought stuff. The best way to preserve stock is to freeze it to make additional slow cooker meals. Try to freeze the chicken stock in 1/2 to 1 cup containers or freeze in quart freezer bag for easy use in any recipe or slow cooker meals.
Use this stock to make other slow cooker meals such as: stew, soups or chicken tortilla soup.
So if you have been following along here is a sample of the fabulous healthy slow cooker meals you can make using one chicken.
Biscuit Empanadas – Use Chicken instead of Beef
What are your favorite Chicken Dishes?