I am not sure when cranberries started to be paired with turkey for Thanksgiving day, but the tart taste compliments the meal. I am not a fan of the jellied stuff that comes out of the can. It was my mom’s favorite, but I never really acquired a taste for it. I do love cranberries and in my search many years ago I found a recipe. It is one of those ones that is so easy I just have it memorized. I couldn’t tell you where I got it. The sweetness of the orange juice and tartness of the cranberries compliment so well in this easy homemade cranberry sauce recipe.
Ingredients for Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe:
1 12oz bag of cranberries (organic is sold in 8oz bags)
1 Cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar or honey (to taste)
Directions How to Make Easy Cranberry Sauce:
1. Wash the cranberries thouroughly before starting to cook them. Next in a pot add a cup of orange juice then pour in the cranberries and sugar or honey.
2. Allow this mixture to come to a simmer on medium low heat. Once the cranberries get hot you can hear them popping in the pan. Almost sounds like pop corn.
3. Continue to stir for about 5-10 minutes until it is thickened and jelly like. Serve warm or cold with turkey and all the fixin’s.
Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe Made in Minutes
- 1 12 oz bag of cranberries organic is sold in 8oz bags
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey to taste
- Wash the cranberries thoroughly before starting to cook them. Next in a pot add a cup of orange juice then pour in the cranberries and sugar or honey.
- Allow this mixture to come to a simmer on medium low heat. Once the cranberries get hot you can hear them popping in the pan. Almost sounds like pop corn.
- Continue to stir for about 5-10 minutes until it is thickened and jelly like. Serve warm or cold with turkey and all the fixin's.
The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar, but since I have been cutting way down on sugar I found I could do with less. So put in as little or as much as you would like. For a few variations you can use lemonade or juice a lime to add to the sauce. You can even add a little cinnamon or a little orange zest. I usually change up this easy cranberry sauce recipe a little each year to keep it interesting. You can whip this up right before it is time to serve.
Thanksgiving is a day to enjoy and feast. It is a day to celebrate and be thankful for all that we have worked for, we have been given and we are able to give. It is ok to splurge a little on way to celebrate, but it will be back to clean eating until Christmas day for me. Click to find more Thanksgiving holiday ideas or follow my Thanksgiving Ideas Pinterest board for more inspiration.
What is your favorite dish to make for holidays?