Dr. Seuss has brought so much joy to children’s reading. Reading his books with my children still makes me smile. In order to celebrate Dr Seuss birthday March 2, I have come up with an original recipe called Sam I Hamwiches. Based on the book Green Eggs and Ham to celebrate this fun occasion. Thanks to Petit Jean Meats and Great Day Farms for providing the ham and eggs for this recipe.
Celebrate Dr Seuss Birthday with Sam I Hamwiches
Ingredients for Sam I Hamwiches:
3 slices of Petit Jean Ham
6 Eggs from
1/2 cup Onion Chopped
1 Cup (Heaping) spinach
1/3 pound cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions on how to make Sam I Hamwiches:
1. Lay out the bread. I found a small circle cookie cutter and cut out 24 for 12 muffins.
2. Next lay out good quality ham and cut out 12 circles. You can order Petit Jean ham too from their website.
3. Let’s put the egg mixture together. I used Great Day Farms eggs. Put 6 cracked eggs, 1/2 cup onions and one heaping cup of spinach in the blender. In that order. Pulse at first to get the spinach to go down. Once all the spinach is in there, blend until there is a nice green mixture. Visit Great Day Farms site for more egg recipes.
4. Spray the muffin tin really well or use muffin cups. I highly recommend using muffin cup liners. Lay a piece of bread at the bottom then place a piece of ham on top with another piece of bread on top. Place a scant 1/4 cup of the mixture in the muffin cup. Fill about 3/4 full. Top with cheese. These will rise a little while baking
5. Bake in the oven at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These taste like little mini spinach quiches. I have to say the kids were a little leery trying anything green. They know that means vegetables, even this mom can’t fool them. For the most part after some coaxing them to try them, they really liked it. Stay in tune with Petit Jean Meats and Great Day Farms on Facebook for more great recipes in information.
I love making muffins for the kids for breakfast. Muffins are just perfect for their little hands to eat. No extra utensils are needed. Just grab and eat. See more muffin recipes to make for your family.
What are some ways you celebrate Dr Seuss Birthday at your house?
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- The Best Organic Laundry Detergent You Can Count On - February 24, 2017
- Fuel Your Day With High Protein Breakfast Cookies Recipe - February 21, 2017
- Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaf Recipe - January 24, 2017