Ice Cream for Breakfast – Healthy Breakfast Smoothies for Kids
Here is a quick and easy healthy breakfast smoothie your kids will love. They will think you have gone crazy giving them Ice Cream for breakfast. Little do they know this is a healthy breakfast smoothie for kids, but oh so yummy. I tell them this is ice cream, so they think they are getting a special treat.
How to make breakfast smoothies for kids:
1. Start with a great yogurt. Learn how to make yogurt in a slow cooker. I like to use Greek yogurt, since this has a higher calcium content than regular yogurt. This works great with regular yogurt too. You can use plain or vanilla yogurt. Then the night before freeze the fruit you plan on using. I like to use frozen strawberry puree.
2. Then I add oatmeal, wheat germ and /or flax seed. If using all three use about 2 table spoons each. If using just one then use about ¼ cup. This may not be to everyone’s taste experiment to see if you like this. My daughter thinks it is cool to add the oatmeal; however my son thinks it is nasty. Then blend with an emulsion blender. If you do not have an emulsion blender then you may need to add some milk to a regular blender and blend. The frozen fruit freezes the yogurt and it tastes like soft serve ice cream. Very delicious. I also make these healthy breakfast smoothies for kids as a treat in the summer time. They think they are getting ice cream, but I know they are getting the nutrition they need.
If you are using berries and plain yogurt you may need to add a teaspoon or two of powdered sugar or honey to cut the tartness of the berries. But it is far less than a scoop of real ice cream. I like to use powered sugar since it is already so fine you don’t have to worry about the little crunchy granules you may get with regular sugar.
I buy all my strawberries in the summer when they are the cheapest. I then take them and put them in my blender and puree them. I place them in freezer bags ½ cup at a time and freeze them flat. I have great strawberry puree all year round for homemade strawberry jam recipe, pancake mix or waffles. I even use them in my chocolate strawberry brownies mix instead of milk or water. Very yummy.
0.90 lbs of raisins @ $1.49 lbs – $1.34
2 Voskos Greek Yogurt $2.00 each
My totals for the week I spent $55.19 total saved $75.63 for almost 58% savings. I was so close to my $50.00 budget this week. If I would not have gone to Sprouts I would have been within budget. I just couldn’t pass up Greek Yogurt for $2.00 for 16 oz. I just wish I had a coupon to get it cheaper, but I didn’t find any. I looked too!
Link up your weekly deals here. I love to visit blogs that link up to check out your deals for the week.
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Shrimp and Kale Salad Recipe In Under 10 Minutes - August 7, 2017
- How to Create A Smart Home in Minutes - July 28, 2017
- Best Road Trip Tips And Kids Travel Notebook Printable - July 19, 2017