It is Valentine’s day and two things that go together more than Valentines day and Chocolate. How about a great chocolate syrup recipe? You can make your own chocolate syrup the simple way. We don’t eat a lot of chocolate here, since Little Face is allergic. I know that sounds horrible to be allergic to chocolate, but I was allergic to chocolate too when I was little. Thank goodness I grew out of that one! I feel he will grow out of it in time too. Using this chocolate syrup recipe is great for a little drizzle for those of us who love chocolate in this house.
Chocolate Syrup Recipe
I have found several recipes that require you make a ton of chocolate syrup. We don’t need that much, so feel free to double or triple if your family is a bunch of chocoholics. I made just enough for us to use before I feel like it will go bad.
Ingredients for Homemade Chocolate Syrup Recipe:
1/2 unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch (to thicken the syrup, not needed)
1 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla (vanilla extract recipe)
pinch of salt
How to make Chocolate Syrup:
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients: cocoa, sugar and salt.
2. In a pot, slowly whisk in cold water and corn starch to make sure it is completely dissolved.
3. Cook over a med heat, whisking to combine until nice and glistening. This helps dissolve the sugar in the water to make the syrup. Now is a good time to test just a little.
4. Once the chocolate concoction has cooled, add the vanilla. Mix to combine.
5. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use on whatever you like.
This chocolate syrup recipe doesn’t contain any high fructose corn syrup or anything artificial. I never bought the other stuff, since it had high fructose corn syrup as the top ingredient. I am not sure this is considered healthy, but it is better than the store bought stuff. My motto is: everything is OK in moderation. The kids just love we have chocolate syrup again.
What would you use this chocolate syrup on? (remember this IS a family friendly blog)
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- The Best Fish Tacos Recipe With Wasabi Garlic Lime Sauce - April 20, 2017
- Easy to Use 3D Pen For Kids - April 18, 2017
- Sustainable and Ethical Fashion You Will Love - April 7, 2017