I know you have seen the slow cooker caramel recipe pinned a thousand times on Pinterest, but I just had to try it myself to see if it really would work. I was completely amazed I could make homemade caramel in my slow cooker. As you can see from my previous slow cooker recipes, we have a small love affair going on. Please don’t tell my husband, but I think he already knows. I swear the slow cooker is on nearly all the time around here.
Easy Slow Cooker Caramel Recipe
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Caramel Recipe:
1 Can sweetened condensed milk (I love one ingredient recipes, don’t you?)
Directions for Slow Cooker Caramel Recipe:
1. Remove paper from can of sweetened condensed milk.
2. Place can in a plastic bowl inside the slow cooker pot. This prevents the can from leaving a rust mark in the bottom of the slow cooker.
3. Pour water into the slow cooker until it covers about 1 inch above the can.
4. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 4-5 hours.
5. Ta da the easiest homemade caramel recipe in a can!
This caramel recipe tastes close to a dulce de leche with its rich smooth and creamy caramel feel. I accidentally left mine in for five hours and it seemed to come out richer and darker than most of the pictures I had seen before on Pinterest. The high heat from the slow cooker slowly caramelizes the sugar in the can to a yummy brown caramel color. I also saw people cooking it on low for 8 hours and it did not look like the sugar caramelized to a nice brown caramel color like mine. Now what are you going to do with this awesome caramel you just made in your slow cooker?
I made caramel granola brownies and I also used this to make coffee with caramel. There is a little trick to using this in coffee. It is a good idea to warm this up in the microwave for less than a minute and slowly add coffee while stirring to dissolve in the coffee completely. Otherwise you will get a lumpy mess in the bottom of the coffee and it is not very appetizing to drink lumpy coffee.
Haven’t you always wanted a simple caramel recipe you can make on your own? Now you know how!
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe in Under 30 Minutes - January 19, 2017
- Big Game Homegating Snack Hack Ideas to Feed a Crowd - January 18, 2017
- 7 Tips on How to Get More Done Every Day - January 11, 2017